Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cemeteries from the Sky - Culpeper National Cemetery


Last Sunday's flying mission was to take overhead photos of local cemeteries to post on findagrave.com -- one of my favorite sites.  I want to provide photos from a new vantage point and leave a historic record.

First target: Culpeper National Cemetery.  It's a beautiful cemetery in the heart of Virginia. There are many Civil War soldiers and veterans from other wars buried there.

I've scoured the cemetery for relatives.  There's one Houghton (John S.) who might be related.  My mother's Houghton family lived in Culpeper county before the Civil War.  Several of Elijah Houghton's sons, including my 4th g-grandfather Job Houghton, moved to what is now Lewis County, West Virginia between 1820 and 1830. Others remained in Culpeper County.

Here's the pic I posted on findagrave.com. Culpeper National Cemetery is here.

The day was slightly overcast which makes for a better image. It was also a wee bit turbulent, which does not improve the image (definitely not!).  Believe it or not, it's easy to take photos while flying. My straight-tail Cessna 172 is designed to fly straight and level even if I let go of the yoke to take a photo.  It's a big sky out there and if I drift off course a bit, no problem. The photo below is from an earlier flight over Pennsylvania.

Till next time, keep the blue side up ... Lynn


1 comment:

  1. Howdy Cousin. I am related to the same Houghton lineage. Job was my 3x great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete