Saturday, April 6, 2013

The G.A.R. Bible - It's a "goodie!"


I was going through old books and came across a Bible that belongs to my husband.   I've seen this Bible before but it was several years ago before I had done much research on my husband's Pennsylvania Civil War ancestors and relatives.
 
The inscription in the Bible says:

Presented to J. D. Bartolett
Post No. 484 G.A.R.
by Comrade John McKelvey
January 1887.

I found that only the Death page is filled out.  The names are all men and no two have the same surname. Clearly, these are members of The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Post 484 who died between 1886 and 1893.

J.D. Bartolett. J.D. Bartolett is not one of my husband's ancestors.  I know, I researched his family tree. Between the Old and New Testaments are pages allotted for Births, Marriages, and Deaths.  I googled "J.D. Bartolett" and learned this is probably John D. Bertolette.  On findagrave.com, I found Joe Nihen's memorial for him.  Joe and I go back several years.  We're on-line genealogy pals, thanks to findagrave.com and Joe's careful documentation of  the graves of Carbon County  Civil War veterans.  According to Joe, Lieutenant Colonel J. D. Bertolette died in 1881 and is buried in Lehighton Cemetery.  

John McKelvy.  Not surprisingly, Joe also created a memorial for John McKelvy.  John served as a private with the 38th Pennsylvania Militia Infantry and is also buried in Lehighton Cemetery.

Daniel Kresge.  Next I studied the list of names.  The only one I recognized is the first name on the list.  Daniel Kresge, died 1886.  My husband's great-great uncle, Francis Rhoads (also - Roth) married Emma Kresge in 1899.  Her father was Daniel Kresge.   

The Men.  I sent photos of the bible and a transcription of the names and dates of death to Joe Nihen.  If possible, he was even more excited by this find than I was.  He used the dates to update his information and begin new research.  He said most of the men are buried in Lehighton or Weissport, Carbon County, PA. He said he found veterans buried in Carbon County that he didn't know about.

I'm not sure how this Bible ended up with my husband's family.  Emma's husband, Francis Rhoads died between 1910 and 1920.  Perhaps she lived with her in-laws for a time and the Bible remained in their home.

Final Resting Place for the Bible.  I'm currently looking for a home for the bible.  Options include the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA, the Lehigh County Historical Society (which has an excellent library with a regional focus, the Carbon County Library in Jim Thorpe, or possibly the descendents of Daniel Kresge.  I'll take my time researching the best option; meanwhile I'll share digitally with as many people as possible.

As Joe Nihen said, "It's a goodie."  Below is a list of all names in the G.A.R. Post 484 Bible.

Till next time, keep the blue side up ... Lynn 

Daniel Kresge
June 8th 1886

Joseph Trumbower
Nov 28th 1886

Aaron Weidaw
January 9th 1887

Peter Suartwood
October 3rd 1887

Samuel L. Meckes
June 7th 1888

John W. Gilham
September 30th 1888

Albert Schoepe
February 4th 1889

Henry H. Kramer
August 4th 1889

J. R. Dimmick
October 27th 1889

John Brindle
January 15th 1890

J. H. Kline
February 22d 1890

Valentine Newmoyer
June 22d 1890

Charles Langkamerer
August 9th 1891

Kilian Hofeker
May 14th 1892

Frederick P. Sutter
July 28th 1892

Alvin J. Hofford
August 2d 1892

Henry Grow
January 7th 1893

Joseph F. Rex
April 1st 1893


No comments:

Post a Comment