Friday, March 29, 2013

I Didn't See That Coming ... Pappy's First Wife


We regularly visit my husband's dear Uncle Donny and Aunt Floss in Pennsylvania and can usually count on their eldest son and his wife, Donny Jr. and Carol, to join us.  On one visit the conversation turned to genealogy and Uncle Donny brought out a few photos. "That's Pappy's first wife." he announced to the group.

I beg your pardon?!?  He explained that his mother was his father's (my husband's grandfather) second wife. None of Pappy's grandchildren, my husband included, knew that he had a first wife, Min, and a daughter, Dorothy, by that marriage.

When I returned home, I looked for additional evidence to support Uncle Donny's proclamation. Indeed, in the 1910 Census, I found Dorothy living with her maternal grandmother just four doors down from Pappy and his second family. Her mother, Min is no where to be found. In addition to finding Dorothy in the census, I located Pappy and Min's marriage license.

My husband and I frequently discuss this family surprise. We even take turns quoting Uncle Donny, "That's Pappy's first wife."  There is no doubt, I didn't see that coming.

Till next time, keep the blue side up ... Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment