Tuesday, July 21, 2015

People Are So Kind: German Record Transcription

Someone just helped me again.  I'm trying to translate a German record but first I need to transcribe it. I've done several other documents, and while I'm certainly not an expert, I was really stuck with this one.

It's the Rev. E. A. Bauer's funeral record for my husband's great great grandmother, Elizabeth Winter, widow of John Roth of Franklin Township, Carbon County, Pennsylvania.  I was able to make out her name, the date of death, date of burial, and age. But when it came to the remarks, I was really stuck. 

The second line says:  8 h: 17 feh: 3 urckl

Well, at least that was what I managed to make out.  I googled and googled looking for abbreviations. No luck. I transposed the letters and googled again. No luck. Finally I posted it to the German Genealogy Records Transcription Group on Facebook and once again a kind stranger helped me out.


 



Here's a portion of the note I posted along with it:

Almost all other records are in this order: 1) place of birth 2) birth date 3) parents names. From this information I see she was born in 1789 and her maiden name was Winter (I have this from a second source). I can't read much else. I'm especially curious about the second line. Thanks for any assistance.

Within an hour, Renate posted the following: 8 children, 17 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.
 Nothing I researched looked anything like that.  Now to reverse engineer the answer.  I immediately saw that the first term is probably 8 k for kinder or children..  

With a little more help from google translate, I determined the last term was 3 Ur ekl for ur-enkel or great grandchilden.

I posted an additional query about the middle term for grandchildren. Renate said it's ekl for enkelkinder. I see another letter there that looks like a s or an f but I absolutely trust Renate.

This family poses a serious brick wall. Now I'm off to pull up census records from 1810 to 1840 and start counting children.
 
Till next time, keep the blue side up ... Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment