Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Name Game

All genealogists play the name game.  Multiple spellings of our surnames is fairly common.  My great grandfather came from Lithuania with a relatively easy last name. Dausin.  Well, perhaps not that easy.

I have seen so many spellings that I started a spreadsheet to keep track of the various spellings.  Lithuanians add a suffix to the root of their last name which identifies whether the individual is a man,  a married woman, or an unmarried daughter. (See a great explanation here by John Peters, a genealogist who helped many Lithuanian Americans over their brick walls.)

I added the date and source to my spreadsheet; when looking for a new record I usually start my search with the spellings closest to the date of the new source.



First
Last
Date
Source
1
Joel
Dauzin
1897
Naturalization paper
2
Julias
Dausaunas
1890
Sister Beth's papers
3
Julijonas
Dausinas
1902
Marriage register (Church)

Julionas
Daunsinos
1902
Marriage license & certificate
4
Julijani
Dausinas
1903
Daughter Bronislava Haimi (?) baptism record
5
Juligan
Dauzen
1904
Son Boleslav's birth certificate
6
Julijano
Dausinas
1904
Son Bolieslaum's baptism record
7
Julius
Dausen
1907
Joseph's birth certificate
8

Dausinas
1904
Boleslav baptism record
9
Julius
Doosen
1910
Census
10
Julius
Dowsen
1918
WWI Draft Registration
11
Julius
Dausen
1941
Anthony's birth certificate
12
Julius
Dausinis
1943
Edward's birth certificate
13
Julius
Dausenas
1952
Death certificate
14

Dausinas
1967
Paulina's death certificate

Turns out, that wasn't enough. Several databases, like Cook County's genealogy site,  let you put in the soundex code. Since most of the spellings had the same sound, I felt they would all have the same soundex code.  Generally speaking, the table below bears that out.  250 without the suffix and 252 with it.  Again, I used a spreadsheet but there are several good soundex converters that will do the work for you.


D
A
U
S
I
N
AS



O
U
Z
E

IS




W

AU






O






D


2

5
 2
0
Soundex


That just one of the many name games I've played to find information about my great grandfather.  He didn't leave a lot of information behind.  I'm still searching to find his entry to the US (around 1892) and any information regarding his origins in Lithuania. 

Till next time, keep the blue side up ... Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment